Spring Into Singles Fundraising A Success!!
Our order for 10 Vespoli SD Singles and 24 sets of pontoons was placed Nov. 2020
UVRF - Lebanon Crew - Spring 2021
Head Coach: Carin Reynolds
Coaches: Chuck Nagle, Laura Gillespie, Ian Girdwood, Emily Boyce. Assistant Coaches: Mimi Reichenbach, Gaby Garcia, Alli Duany.
This program is open to 8th-12th graders from Lebanon High School and Lebanon Middle School as well as to students from Hartford, Mascoma, Plainfield, KUA, Claremont, Woodstock, Thetford Academy and Sharon Academy. Homeschoolers welcome! No experience necessary or expected!
Due to COVID 19, this spring brings many challenges, changes and uncertainties, but we do know we will have a full program, and we will get ON THE WATER in some form. Below is the broad outlines of the season - flexibility will be required and we have many “Plan B’s”
TENTATIVE RACE SCHEDULE
Saturday, 5/1/2021 – at Home - v. Derryfield - Varsity only - semi-confirmed (will know by Tuesday, as well as the timing)
Saturday, 5/8/2021 – at Home - UVRF-Leb v. MRA - 2 - 4 pm, NOVICE AND VARSITY but PRIMARILY GIRLS
Sunday, 5/9/2021 – Hanover HS is hosting Bedford 8:30 a.m.-12:00pm and although they usually only race eights, Bedford only has boys’ fours, so the boys’ races will be in fours and Hanover has invited our boys to race with them, this could be Varsity only, TBD. This may be a no spectator event other than from cars on the Vermont side of the river (Hanover typically races from the 500 meter mark UPSTREAM to just past the start start of the 2k course north of their dock).
Saturday, 5/15/2021 – ALL CREWS - UVRF-Leb v. Hollis-Brookline 10 am - 1 pm confirmed
8:30 – 12:00 p.m BOYS will join the Hanover HS v. Concord Race (Tentative)
Noon – 3:00 p.m. UVRF-Leb v. Souhegan primarily Girls
Highlights of some changes for this year:
- Before we get on the water, practices will be take place at the gym of the former Lebanon Junior High School at 75 Bank St., Lebanon, NH - a Zoom option will also be available.
- You must be registered for the program before we distribute an erg to you.
- We will hold practices during April break to get more rowing time on the water.
- We will definitely be rowing in singles - thanks to our fundraising, we purchased an additional 10 singles as well as 24 sets of pontoons (these keep the boats from tipping over during the early season when the water is cold). Depending on COVID numbers and protocols, we may be able to row in team boats.
- Coxswains will now pay 50% of the regular program fee and will be expected to row (unless you really don’t want to). As always, there is plenty of financial aid available.
- We will try to set up races with other teams - we are in contact with the coaches and hope to have competitions. We will have team scrimmages.
- Our Prouty team fundraiser (formerly a car wash and bake sale) will have to be re-thought. Anyone have ideas?
Want to learn more?
- Drop-in ZOOM Q&A/Info Session - Thursday, March 11 from 5:15 - 6:30 p.m. Contact Head Coach
for Zoom login information. Geared more toward new rowers and parents. Come with your questions and curiosity!
- Mandatory Parent-Athlete ZOOM Information Meeting - MONDAY, MARCH 15, 2021 - 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. In-depth information about the program, ask questions, meet the coaches and captains and learn about UVRF Lebanon crew. If you get my emails, you will be getting the Zoom login info; if not, to be added to the list, please contact
Optional Pre-Season ZOOM Erg & Body Strength workouts: For experienced and new rowers as well as those who want to check it out before committing - Two weeks: Monday, March 8 - Friday, March 19, 2020 - Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. YOU MUST BE REGISTERED FOR THE SEASON IN ORDER TO GET A LOANER ERG. All sessions will start with a dynamic warmup and core strength routine that do not require an erg - all are welcome to join.
Regular Season Starts Monday, March 22 and ends Friday, May 28. NEW THIS YEAR - WE WILL HOLD OPTIONAL PRACTICES DURING APRIL BREAK
NOTE: Rowers must provide their own transportation to practices and to races.
Pre-On The Water Practice (Monday, March 22 - approximately Friday April 9) - Ergs, Core, Strength
UPDATE 3/19/2021 Practice will be Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday from 5:15 - 6:45 p.m. at 75 Bank Street. Wednesday's from 5:15 - 6:15 p.m. will be reserved for non-erg activities (watching the US Rowing Safety Video, rowing videos, team games, etc.)
Ergs will be distributed to registered participants on a first registered, first served basis (we should have enough for all, but that is not certain). All practices will be via ZOOM. FIRST WEEK OF PRACTICE - if you're not sure if you want to commit or not, come give it a try for FREE - no commitment!
On the Water Practice (Starting Monday, April 12 or whenever the site is open and the river safe for rowing)
Once we are on the water, practices are at Kendal Riverfront Park in Hanover (parking available at the site) located at 84 Lyme Road (Route 10), 2 miles north of Hanover green. Mondays - Thursdays 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m./Fridays 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. COVID Protocols will be followed.
- Masks are required when on land but can be removed after launching if we are rowing in singles. Team boats TBD.
- Assuming we will be rowing in singles, we will be moving the ergs to Kendal under pop up tents. We will have 25 singles (and sets of pontoons) available. Everyone will row in singles and when not on the water, row on the ergs and do land-based workouts.
RACE SCHEDULE: TO BE DETERMINED - We are in constant contact with coaches of other programs and everyone would like to see some racing happen, but it will be determined. We will have team scrimmages on a weekly basis.
Cost: $350 (inclusive) New for 2021 - for those participating as coxswains (and if we are in singles, you will be rowing unless you really don’t want to), the cost is ½ price ($175). Generous Financial Aid!!!! (including installment payment option and partial or full scholarship) is available from the UVRF-Jasmine Rogers Scholarship Fund. Contact Head Coach Carin Reynolds (firstname.lastname@example.org) in confidence for details.
- Swim Test/Safety Video: All rowers who have not taken the swim test will be taking one during a regularly scheduled practice. [3/19/21 Update - Swim Test will be at CCBA from 3 - 4 p.m. Wednesday, March 31] The swim test consists of 10 minutes of treading water followed by swimming two lengths of the pool (any stroke, any speed), treading water and putting on a life jacket that has been thrown to you, then getting out of the pool with the life jacket on.
- All rowers must watch the U.S. Rowing Safety Video which will be shown during a practice before we go on the water.
- Attendance at ALL practices and races is expected; but some accomodations can be made.
- Participation in team fundraising events, most importantly fundraising for the Friends of UVRF-Lebanon CReW Prouty Team (Note that The Prouty this year is likely to be virtual again and held over a 40 day window between June 1 and July 10, 2021 -- attendance at the actual event is voluntary, but we will organize a team virtual row.)
Questions? Contact Carin Reynolds at email@example.com or 603-276-9250.